Pegasus win in brilliant comeback over Tai Po

Pegasus finally achieved a win after three straight defeats in Monday night’s match against Tai Po. Pegasus, despite falling behind by two goals after thirty minutes, managed to bag all three points with a stunner from Leung Nok-hang and a brace from Travis Major. Pegasus remain three points behind leaders Kitchee, while Tai Po dropped to the third place in the league. Zinc Yeung rounds up the match.

Joao Emir returned to the Pegasus starting lineup after injury saw him missing Pegasus’ last two defeats, while Wu Chun-ming also returned, replacing Li Ngai-hoi. Fit-again Law Hiu-chung started in the right back position. Former Pegasus player Eduardo Praes started for Tai Po whilst Dhiego Martins, also a former employee of the Flying Horsemen, started on the bench.

Pegasus’ 3:2 win over Tai Po ended a winless run of three games (photo courtesy of HKFA).

Both sides began cautiously, but the game sprung into life after just seven minutes when Tai Po managed to score with their first chance on goal. Good link up play between Tan Chun-lok and Igor Sartori allowed the latter to get the ball behind Law Hiu-chung, and the Brazilian forward then found his way past Yuen Ho-chuen to set up Yuto Nakamura to tap in his second goal of the season.

In the 12th minute, a misunderstanding between Andy Russell and David Lazari allowed Pegasus midfielder Eugene Mbome to get the ball in Tai Po’s penalty area, but the referee instead awarded a freekick to Pegasus for a hand ball from Andy Russell. Joao Emir’s resulting free kick hit the wall and came back out toChan Siu-ki, whose shot from outside the box went harmlessly over the bar.

Pegasus began to have more possession and relied on crosses from the wings to create chances, but this tactic proved rather ineffective as most crosses were dealt with by the Tai Po defence. Despite this, and against the run of play, Tai Po extended their lead in the 29th minute, when Igor Satori’s cross deflected off Rosen Kolev into his own net to give Tai Po a two-goal lead.

Pegasus continued to fight back despite falling behind two goals, and their determination yielded rewards just five minutes later. Law Hiu-chung’s cross was cleared away by Eduardo Praes to Leung Nok-hang, who unleashed a fierce shot from about 25 yards which went straight to the top left corner of the net to pull one back for the hosts. Parity was the restored four minutes later, when Eugene Mbome’s cross for Travis Major, was fumbled by Greens’ goalkeeper Li Hon-ho after Andy Russell bumped into him, allowing Travis Major to put the ball into the empty net, levelling the score.

Tai Po and Pegasus were both much more active in the second half. Joao Emir’s freekick two minutes after the break allowed Rosen Kolev to take a shot from the edge of the box which went wide of the right side of the post. Six minutes later, Tai Po’s David Lazari brilliantly went past a number of Pegasus players to attempt a shot from the edge of the box, but his effort went over the bar. Shortly after, Igor Sartori cut in from the left side and attempted a curling shot, but the ball sailed wide of the goal.

Pegasus dropped deeper and played more conservatively as the second half progressed, relying on counter attacking moves to produce chances on goal. Travis Major’s hard work allowed him to win several aerial duels with Eduardo Praes, but his crosses were all cleared by Andy Russell or David Lazari. Wu Chun-ming attempted a long shot similar to Leung Nok-hang’s first half goal in the 65th minute, but his shot was much weaker and easily held by Li Hon-ho.

Travis Major (right) put away two for his team to seal a confidence-boosting win (photo courtesy of HKFA).

Tai Po failed to produce many chances as the game neared its end, while Pegasus did manage to fashion one or two attempts. Good one-two play between Mahama Awal and Chan Siu-ki allowed Awal to cross but it failed to find a Pegasus player.

The game seemed to be destined to finish as a draw, but disaster struck for the visitors in the third minute of added time. A one-two between Joao Emir and Eugene Mbome put Joao Emir in a one-on-one situation with Li Hon-ho, but the Brazilian instead set up Travis Major who hit a fierce shot into the roof of the net to bag all three points for Pegasus.

Pegasus climbed above Tai Po into second place in the league while Tai Po dropped down to third. The Flying Horsemen are still three points behind leaders Kitchee, while Tai Po are now only one point ahead of Dreams who have played one game less than the Greens.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top