Flying Horsemen keep Kitchee on the ground

The Flying Horsemen nearly beat Kitchee with a Travis Major goal in the 89th minute, but Fernando equalised not long after. Lucas had the chance to bag all three points for the current champions in stoppage time, but his poor execution was saved by Leung Hing-kit. The match ended 1-1, which means that both sides remain unbeaten in this year’s Premier League campaign.

Pegasus made one change compared to last week’s 3-2 thriller against R&F. Leong Ka-hang, who scored two goals back then, replaced injured Igor Nedeljkovic. At Kitchee, Sandro had to make space for Matt Lam. Tong Kin-man continued in the defence and was again the only Hong Kong-born player in Kitchee’s starting line-up.

As expected, Kitchee was the dominant side in the game. In the 4th minute, Jared Lum took a shot from the right side of the box, but it went well over the bar. 8 minutes later, the ball fell to Fernando after poor clearance efforts in several aerial duels, but the Brazilian failed to finish properly.

Pegasus remain unbeaten this season (photo courtesy of HKFA).

On the other hand, the referee’s performance continued to take over the spotlight with several dubious decisions, including a rough foul on Lam Zhi-gin by Fong Pak-lun for which no caution was given. Kitchee fans were unhappy with both the decision and Fong Pak-lun and responded by booing the local left back whenever he was on the ball.

In the first half, Pegasus relied heavily on Mahama Awal’s pace durin counter attacks. The Cameroon player produced two threatening crosses in the 16th minute and the 33rd minute, but the first one was cleared by Huang Yang and the latter one failed to find Chan Siu-ki.

Meanwhile, Kitchee continued to press for a goal, but most shots came from outside the box, as Pegasus gave their opponents less space. Fernando – arguably unintentionally – hit the post in the 28th minute, but Kitchee’s greatest chance to score came in added time when Lucas hit the post and Krisztian Vadocz failed to convert the rebound.

Kitchee continue to press for an opener at the start of the second half. Jared Lum found Lam Zhi-gin with a good through pass, who forwarded the ball to Lucas, but the Brazilian placed the shot well over the bar. Two minutes later, Fernando produced another gorgeous cross to Lucas, but this time Leung Hing-kit was in place to interfere.

Kitchee coach Alex Chu substituted Sandro for Matt Lam in the 68th minute, in the hope to strengthen the attack. Sandro nearly made an instant impact 3 minutes later, when his header went just wide to the left side of the post.

Fernando (left) rescued a point for Kitchee right at the death (photo courtesy of HKFA).

Meanwhile, Yeung Ching-kwong put on Jordan Lam Lok-kan and Travis Major, himself aiming for a late match winner winner against Kitchee, and the Flying horsemen produced a number of good chances, but Cheung Chi-yung’s header after a Joao Emir corner and Jordan Lam’s shot from a few yards failed to beat Wang Zhenpeng. Nonetheless, a few moments later Pegasus took the lead in the 87th minute, when Wang Zhenpeng failed to hold on to Joao Emir’s long shot from about 25 yards and Australian forward Travis Major tapped in from close range in the follow up.

However, that was not the end of the story. Dani, who replaced Kim Bong-jin, broke through on the left and delivered a cross that Rosen Kolev failed to clear properly.  Fernando accepted the only invitation with a powerful shot that Leung Hing-kit couldn’t manage.

After that, Lucas had a chance to win the match for Kitchee, when Fernando’s cross found him unmarked. with Leung Hing-kit out of position, but his shot was too misplaced and weak, putting it right into the arms of the Pegasus keeper.

To Top