Farewell and Goodnight? Yuen Long draw with Pegasus in last home match

Photo: Zinc Yeung

Yuen Long played what might be their last home match at Yuen Long Stadium against Pegasus in a 3-3 thriller. A brace from Walter Soares Jr. gave the Tangerines a two-goal lead, while Fong Pak-lun’s stunner crawled one back for Pegasus. Captain Fabio Lopes’ header restored the two-goal cushion for Yuen Long but a penalty and a late header from Joao Emir equalized for the Flying Horsemen.

Both sides started actively into the match and Yuen Long’s attacking duo with Everton Camargo and Soares Junior’s was a constant threat to the Pegasus defense. In fact, both full-backs of Pegasus were booked in the first half while trying to stop them. The Tangerines opened the scoreline in the 37th minute when Walter Soares Jr. cut in from the right side to score from outside the box, giving Yuen Long the lead before half-time.

Yuen Long’s Brazilian attacking pair, both rumored to be joining Eastern next season, continued to be a threat in the second half and got another goal just three minutes after the match restarted. Everton’s effort was saved by Leung Hing-kit which was then taken by Walter Soares Jr. to score his fifth goal of the season. Junior also had the chance for a hat-trick later, but his shot was saved by Leung Hing-kit.

Pegasus relied on fouls to stop Everton

Pegasus, who are still battling with Tai Po to finish at second place in the Premier League, reduced the deficit by half in the 66th minute. A clearance from Yuen Long defenders fell to Fong Pak-lun who hit a stunning volley past Pang Tsz-kin. However, as Pegasus continued to look for an equalizer, a header from Yuen Long captain Fabio Lopes after a corner restored the two-goal lead for the Tangerines.

Just when Yuen Long looked like the sure winners in what could have been their last home match for long time,  Walter Soares Jr. handled the ball inside the box in the 79th minute and the referee awarded a penalty to Pegasus which Joao Emir converted without mercy. After that, Pegasus bombarded Yuen Long’s defense with crosses from the flanks which were mostly cleared by the brilliant Fabio Alcantara. However, Law Hiu-chung’s cross in the 89th minute managed to avoid Fabio and found Joao Emir who headed in to end the game with a draw.

After the match, Yuen Long midfielder Ticao seemed to be unhappy about goalkeeper Pang Tsz-kin’s performance, leading to a heated argument during which both had to be separated by their fellow teammates.

Ticao had an argument with Pang Tsz-kin and had to be separated by Yuen Long staff

Pegasus reclaimed the second place after the match and a draw in the next round against Tai Po will guarantee a second-place finish. Meanwhile, Yuen Long remained at the sixth position.

Wilson Wong, Yuen Long’s chairman, said after the game that there is a 50-50 chance in securing a new sponsorship deal before HKFA’s deadline on May 31st. He said some new possible sponsors are in contact and he thanked the HKFA in extending the deadline whether they will be able to participate in next season’s Premier League.

It is still unknown whether Yuen Long will participate in the HKPL next season


Photos by Zinc Yeung:


To Top